Sunday, March 14, 2010

Recipe Day!!!

I wasn't sure what to blog about today and then I realized that I've been doing some cooking recently and trying out some new things in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I am no Top Chef, Iron Chef, or Food Network chef, but I do like to try new things and sometimes tweak them when I don't have all of the ingredients or just to make them my own.

I like things that are simple, not too difficult to make, and that uses the fewest dishes possible! Not to mention, I work on a budget.

Should we start with dessert first? I think we should. . .

Peanut Butter - Chocolate Ritz Crackers (This is typically a Christmas gift/treat idea)

*Some parchment paper or aluminum foil

*At least 1 box of Ritz Crackers (I get the Good Value brand b/c they are just as good at half the price)

*A jar of your favorite peanut butter (I would stick with creamy)

*2 packages of Almond Bark Baking Chocolate (it should be down your baking aisle)
You can choose to do white chocolate but I normally do milk chocolate. . .no reason you couldn't mix it up a bit.
Did I mention how simple this is going to be?

1. Go ahead and lay out about 2-3 sheets of your parchment paper or foil on your table, depending on how many sandwiches you are planning on making.

2. Make your peanut butter sandwich crackers. I would suggest a lot of peanut butter if you like. The chocolate tends to get a bit heavy and if you don't put enough peanut butter in them, you will lose the flavor.

3. Follow your directions on your Almond Bark package and melt the chocolate in a large bowl. I know this is kind of tedious because you can only microwave it for 30 seconds at a time but FOLLOW it because your chocolate will burn and will not taste good at all. TRUST ME I've tried it.

4. Once the chocolate is melted, I drop 2-3 of the peanut butter sandwiches flat into it and let them get covered on one side, then i flip them and push them down into the chocolate so that they are completely covered and I use a fork and spoon to pull them out and let an excess chocolate drizzle back into the bowl. (if you may have a better method than this, please share with me). Then place your chocolate covered peanut butter sandwiches on the parchment/foil and let them sit while you finish the rest.

5. Once you have finished all that you want, you should either let them sit overnight so that the chocolate is firm or if you decide that they are firm enough, you can bag them or put them in an airtight container or baggie. May I suggest putting a few in the refrigerator. . . they are pretty good when they are cold!

IF YOU HAVE LEFT OVER CHOCOLATE.......
Don't let it go to waste. . . this may sound crazy, but it is so DELICIOUS, take some Original Pringles and put them on foil or parchment paper, take your remaining chocolate and just drizzle it over them. Let it set and bag them up. This too is to be a huge hit to whoever you give them to.

Simple and tasty!! These make a great X-Mas, Easter, Birthday, any time gift for teachers, friends or parties.

Here are some images of different ways others have decorated theirs for you to see. . . sorry that I haven't taken pictures of mine in the past. I will make some soon and do that.





I hope you all enjoy!

No comments: